Welcome to Our Home

For years people have come to my home and always been very complimentary. I always thought of it as more of a cordiality. Recently I took part in our neighborhood Christmas homes tour. Over 250 people came into my home. When I saw ladies taking pictures of my ideas, I realized that I truly do inspire others. Sometimes I come up with ideas, and my husband really thinks I'm taking things a step too far. Like 5 months after we moved into our brand new home, I wanted to paint all the fireplace wood work and mantle black. Well, 4 years later we still like it and show guests the 'before' photo. We are all inspired by something. So, as I share things on this blog, I hope you duplicate, improve and are inspired to take your decorating just one step further. Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Vintage Keys

I can't believe I did it! I saw this wall art in the Pottery Barn catalogue and wanted to make is soooo badly! I believe it was priced around $329.


I wasn't about to go there, and I wanted to figure out a way to make it. I am not good at painting. REALLY! I know some of my friends don't believe me, but fine motor skills are not my thing!!! So, I was so excited when I found the tutorial on how to make it by Susie Harris. The linky is: http://www.susieharrisblog.com/2009/07/inspirationpass-it-on.html

My Vintage Keys artwork is 24 x 24 (The original at Pottery Barn is larger) and I followed the exact steps as the linked blog. The only thing that I think I did different than Susie was that I used an Antiquing Polish from Folk Art to age the artwork as the final step. I will upload a better image once I am completely done with the area that I set the artwork in. But, for now here's the finished product!!!!


I have another Pottery Barn knock-off that I made for our kids bathroom. As soon as I get photos I will post it. Pretty proud of the final results of it. Then, I have another piece of artwork I am about to start working on, using the same technique as the Vintage Keys. Now that school is out for this homeschool mom, I am trying to exercise my creative juices!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment