Welcome to Our Home

For years people have come to my home and always been very complimentary. I always thought of it as more of a cordiality. Recently I took part in our neighborhood Christmas homes tour. Over 250 people came into my home. When I saw ladies taking pictures of my ideas, I realized that I truly do inspire others. Sometimes I come up with ideas, and my husband really thinks I'm taking things a step too far. Like 5 months after we moved into our brand new home, I wanted to paint all the fireplace wood work and mantle black. Well, 4 years later we still like it and show guests the 'before' photo. We are all inspired by something. So, as I share things on this blog, I hope you duplicate, improve and are inspired to take your decorating just one step further. Enjoy!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sitting Pretty

Well, I dragged another item home from Goodwill. Bill was a bit perplexed what in the world I was going to do with it. I guess I can understand that. Believe it or not I had a few different ideas of the possibilities. So, we began with this:

The back of it was stamped bunkbed. So it was a headboard of a bunkbed. I asked my sweety pie to cut the sides down so that the 'legs' were gone. And I toted it around the house. First I had it in my kitchen and thought it could be a mini wall hutch. I then took it upstairs and thought we could make it into a small table top coming out from the wall. Then, I took it to Nina-Li's room. I thought she might be able to use it as a wall shelf. However, on the wall it would fit on, it would be positioned too high for her to reach. Then, I remembered Bill saying he wanted Nina-Li to have a window seat, AHAA! I asked him what he thought and he said to go for it.
So, first I had to take apart the backing and some wooden type brackets that were on top. I then had to make it a deeper bench. It was only about 6 inches deep. I added a 1 x 8 that we had on hand. However, I used a 1 x 6 for the sides to widen the legs.


I then had to add blocks underneath the widened seat board to attach the beadboard backing I had. Although the bench itself is deeper, I didn't deepen the shelf. It's still the original 6" depth. Once the nail boards were set, I was able to insert the beadboard and attach it. I also added a center support piece to the back part of the bench as shown in the photo.

Once everything was built. (Which by the way, I got to use a few power tools: a circular saw, a miter saw and an air nailer.) I painted our bench black. I know, not very girly, but there is a lot of white in the built-in furniture Bill is building and it ties in everything...you'll see...eventually.


I had foam from little chairs the boys had when they were toddlers. I put it on top of the bench and covered it with this incredible fabric. I LOVE THE FABRIC. I also made little cushion and pillow for the rocking chair in her room out of it. I need to go get more because I have one more idea. Anyway, check out the end results:



1 comment: