Welcome to Our Home

For years people have come to my home and always been very complimentary. I always thought of it as more of a cordiality. Recently I took part in our neighborhood Christmas homes tour. Over 250 people came into my home. When I saw ladies taking pictures of my ideas, I realized that I truly do inspire others. Sometimes I come up with ideas, and my husband really thinks I'm taking things a step too far. Like 5 months after we moved into our brand new home, I wanted to paint all the fireplace wood work and mantle black. Well, 4 years later we still like it and show guests the 'before' photo. We are all inspired by something. So, as I share things on this blog, I hope you duplicate, improve and are inspired to take your decorating just one step further. Enjoy!

Monday, September 13, 2010

A Room With a View

Nina-Li's room has a view - of our street. Little privacy. So, when I was deciding what to do with her window treatments there were two objectives. One, to let the sunshine through. Two, to be able to close for privacy. So, I doubled up. I was inspired by the Spring 2010 BHG Do It Yourself Issue. There was an article in which someone used the CHUNKY PLAIDS to decorate with! Loved it. I was on a mission. Check it out:




I couldn't find the green, but found a shade of pink that I thought would do. The hunt for this plaid was crazy. I went to every store I could think of in our area that might have it. Searched on the internet for hours. FINALLY, I was chatting on Facebook one night and saw a little ad on the sidebar for fabrics. Went to it, and there it was!

First, I made simple curtains that I am using clip rings for to pull open and closed. Then, I used this picture to add a touch of daintiness that I just love!


I had every intention on making the white shades. Then, one day I was in Target and found two tie-up window shades marked down 75% to $3.74 each. I just had to narrow them and I took off the ties they had to make my own. I then added a dowel in order to create the same look that I find in the magazine. This made my work a lot simpler and more affordable.


I am very pleased with the end result! I love these window treatments. I hope Nina-Li enjoys them as well!

1 comment: