Welcome to Our Home

For years people have come to my home and always been very complimentary. I always thought of it as more of a cordiality. Recently I took part in our neighborhood Christmas homes tour. Over 250 people came into my home. When I saw ladies taking pictures of my ideas, I realized that I truly do inspire others. Sometimes I come up with ideas, and my husband really thinks I'm taking things a step too far. Like 5 months after we moved into our brand new home, I wanted to paint all the fireplace wood work and mantle black. Well, 4 years later we still like it and show guests the 'before' photo. We are all inspired by something. So, as I share things on this blog, I hope you duplicate, improve and are inspired to take your decorating just one step further. Enjoy!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Asian + Americana = One Adorable Girly Room

Well, it has been 12 looonnngggg months and we are finally DONE with Nina-Li's room. With just a few days to spare, as we are going to China very soon. Here are before pictures. Not the best pictures, but this is when it was simply our homeschool classroom.


The photo on the left has a ledge. This room used to be a loft room. Once we knew we were going to need it as a bedroom we enclosed the room. However, continued to use it as a classroom until Bill was ready to transform the room. This ledge is now where her built-in bed is. Which you will see soon!
This photo shows the frame support for the built-in:

The boys helped Bill lay the hardwood. It's funny that it is the first thing to be done and the last. They laid the hardwood months ago, but staining it was the last thing we did. They did an awesome job.

We also added a type of trim to this wall. I don't know what you would call this, that tells you how much of a designer I am. But, I like it:

Well, I think that is enough of the before/during photos, let's get to the fun stuff!
Taaa Daaaa!
I LOVE THIS ROOM!


The Chinese Characters say: Hope Family Dream Miracle Inspire Peace
Nina's closet is oh so tiny. The little drape in the center is another 'closet'. The China doll that I didn't really get a good shot of, our Mandarin teacher gave us. He and his wife were so kind. I consider it a great honor that they were a part of all of this.
I tell my kids they cannot put stickers on the wall, and what I do, put stickers on the wall. Yet it is a perfect whimsical touch. I got these at IKEA when we were in Chicago. But, accidently left them there. Fortunately this must be a common practice because I called the store and they have a 'left behind' list. My stickers made the list, so on the way home to KC we stopped by IKEA and grabbed them. And I am OH SO GLAD I DID! Fun! Fun! Fun! And I love the ladder there, as if she is climbing a tree to bed.
Can you tell how much I love this fabric? It is the perfect tie in to all the colors, including the Red Thread print on her wall. I just went a little nuts using it I guess. But, I was thrilled when I found it.

The Red Thread print was actually the very first thing I bought for Nina-Li's room. The poem, which I will put at the end, is so fitting. I tried to find fabrics that went with the print and couldn't. I just prayed that somehow I would be able to tie it all in together, and with my favorite fabric, I think it works.
Thank you for humoring me in this post. I will finish with the poem:
Red Thread by Mark Searles
When a child is born, invisible red threads extend from the child's spirit and connect to all significant people who will be part of the child's life. A the child grows, the threads shorten, drawing closer those people who are destined to be together.

10 comments:

  1. It's just beautiful, Michelle! It will be a haven for that loved little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious Michelle, just precious. What special love has been given already to this child. The room is so beautiful and only one after photo is missing to make this complete, that if Nina on her bed or in her rocking chair on on the window seat. It will be so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love the colors and all of the details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hosting a "Trash to Treasure" party over at Sassy Sites! You should come by and join in! :) xoxo!- Marni
    www.sassysites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously this is beyond adorable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this room! So cute, so girly, SO perfect! It is fun and sweet all at the same time. Love, love, love! And how exciting that you are adopting from China! I lived there a couple years ago, and my husband lived in Hong Kong for a couple years and we have always wanted to do that. Hopefully in a couple years my husband and I will be able to also! This is my first time to your blog and I will defnitely be back! Good luck with your trip to China! I am defnitely jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you through Thrify Decor Chick. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This room is absolutely adorable! Really!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. found you from TDC. What an amazing room, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the prettiest little girls room I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete