Welcome to Our Home

For years people have come to my home and always been very complimentary. I always thought of it as more of a cordiality. Recently I took part in our neighborhood Christmas homes tour. Over 250 people came into my home. When I saw ladies taking pictures of my ideas, I realized that I truly do inspire others. Sometimes I come up with ideas, and my husband really thinks I'm taking things a step too far. Like 5 months after we moved into our brand new home, I wanted to paint all the fireplace wood work and mantle black. Well, 4 years later we still like it and show guests the 'before' photo. We are all inspired by something. So, as I share things on this blog, I hope you duplicate, improve and are inspired to take your decorating just one step further. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Double Cloche

It's common in the craft/blog sphere to see a zillion different cloches people have made. I have created my own little design using globes from 2 light fixtures. I found this globes at the Salvation Army for $4 each and knew exactly what I wanted to do with them. I had candle holders I wanted to cut down for a base. I just needed wooden platters/plates to make a platform. I was surprised how much a round piece of wood is $10+. Sooooo, I was on a hunt. We went to a rummage sale and finally found them! Yeah! So, here is what I started with: 2 Domes, 2 wooden plates and 2 candle holders:

My husband cut down the candle holders to make them a more stable height. I sanded and painted my wooden plates. Only to discover they were from Pier 1 for $10 each. (Did I mentioned I paid a whole BUCK each for them??)
Anyway, I painted them green and then applied my favorite antiquing gel from Plaid.
I also painted the candle holders. I had a much harder time. The finish was difficult to sand, and quite frankly, I am just a little too impatient. Soooooo, I the end result is equal to the amount of effort I was willing to put into them:

I then screwed the plate to the candle holders and tah dah! I've got my cloches. NOW, I jut need to figure out what goes inside them. You seeeeeee, the beveled glass does make things distorted a bit. So my birds just look like white balls. So, that again, requires patience from me. But, I couldn't wait to share my little project with ya!

1 comment: