Welcome to Our Home

For years people have come to my home and always been very complimentary. I always thought of it as more of a cordiality. Recently I took part in our neighborhood Christmas homes tour. Over 250 people came into my home. When I saw ladies taking pictures of my ideas, I realized that I truly do inspire others. Sometimes I come up with ideas, and my husband really thinks I'm taking things a step too far. Like 5 months after we moved into our brand new home, I wanted to paint all the fireplace wood work and mantle black. Well, 4 years later we still like it and show guests the 'before' photo. We are all inspired by something. So, as I share things on this blog, I hope you duplicate, improve and are inspired to take your decorating just one step further. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ballard Inspired Mosaic

I REALLY love this picture from Ballard Designs:

SOOOOOO, I was thrilled when I found another blogger who was inspired from the same print and made her own version. http://hopestudios.blogspot.com/2010/07/paint-chip-mosaic-tutorial-tuesday.html
As a matter-of-fact, my crafty friends and I are getting together and making one ourselves. However, my friend Lisa and I agreed we like the variation the original has a bit more and I was determined to get closer to the 'original' look. So, I began making a mini version to test some ideas out.
I followed the guidelines that Hope Studios gave. I laid out my paint chips then numbered them on the back so I knew which order to put them in. I used Elmer's spray glue to adhere them to my almost 12 x 12 scrap wood piece I found.
Hope Studios mentioned they had a problem with the edges of the paint chips curling up. I didn't. So, I don't know if it is the spray glue I used or the pine wood board. Once the glue chips were in place, I scratched up the chips using an X-Acto Knife and sand paper.
I applied my decoupage glue and let it dry. Once that was done, I painted on the Plaid Antiquing Gel that I have mentioned in the Metal Frame project on March 27th. I still didn't have the effect I wanted. So, after the gel was dry, I got out the sand paper again. OH YEAH! It was perfect. Once sanded and roughed up a bit, I then decoupaged again. I LOVE this soooo much, I am going to make another, 24" x 24".

No comments:

Post a Comment